IT Service Management Tool
Imagine a world where...
IT services are designed, delivered, supported and managed using one modern application. Processes are automated, project visibility is improved, the lifecycle of requests are tracked and agencies are provided data that can be used for sound financial IT planning. The implementation of a solution from ServiceNow for IT Service Management (ITSM) will achieve this and is one of the ways we are reimagining IT in the IT Transformation Program.
Implement IT Service Management Tool Suite Project
The project's first phase will focus on IT asset and IT business management, beginning with the implementation of ServiceNow, a cloud-based workflow automation tool.
IT Asset Management Objectives
Work in conjunction with the IT Asset Management (ITAM) initiative to establish the foundation for a more complete hardware asset management platform across the State of Colorado. Creation of a CMDB and improved asset management process to provide visibility into hardware asset assignment and relationships by June 30, 2021.
Create compliance visibility within the ITAM database so that the compliance of hardware that is already present and fully documented within the database is reportable and trackable. Including all hardware not in compliance with existing standards or policies by June 30, 2021.
80% of OIT and 75% of state agency IT hardware key data fields are populated in ServiceNow by June 30, 2021. This will include all asset fields mapped to the CMDB which trigger state changes and/or the creation/update of assets and CI records as well as other key data for asset process operation as identified during current state and process design workshops.
Automated population of the ITAM database for Discovery and Crowdstrike detectable asset types.
Functionality to automatically generate annual reports by department including: number of assets, identified refresh cycles for assets, current operating costs for each asset per department, and in aggregate the projected fiscal year refresh costs for the following hardware and software asset types:
Hardware. Network Equipment
Software.Productivity software suites (MS Office, Google)
Software.Server operating systems
Automate the labor-intensive annual data collection and reporting effort of asset inventory required by Senate Bill 14-169, detailing and forecasting expenditures, and refresh cycle for 17 departments. The reports will include information for personal computers, operating systems, productivity software, network infrastructure, servers, and non-productivity software.
Implement standardized asset, endpoint management, and network management solutions within the 17 in-scope agencies by coordinating the install and configuration of Crowdstrike, ServiceNow Discovery, and the required ServiceNow mid server, network configurations, and credentials to allow their operation within these agencies to support a unified system in which automated integration workflows will operate.
Reduce the level of effort required for agencies to track and create visibility across their physical and software assets. This will be measured by the number of manual process activities reduced through implementation of ServiceNow when compared to the number present during the current state assessment across all agencies.
Enable automated functionality to support and/or automate updates and plan for software expirations and retirement of end-of-life hardware assets. This will be measured via the comparison of number of software expirations and end-of-life assets handled through manual process activities and number of software expirations and end-of-life assets automatically notified and reported on in advance by ServiceNow functionality.
IT Business Management Objectives
1. Work in conjunction with the Real-time Billing and Demand Management transformation efforts to improve how we will manage and account for the services OIT provides to State of Colorado agencies by June 30, 2021. Incorporate a more holistic view of all OIT activities including incident response, request fulfillment and project delivery improving the confidence of our agency partners in the efforts we are billing.
2. Improve visibility of ideas and requests throughout their lifecycle, including approvals, current state, milestones, resource assignments and associated budgets resulting in more transparency by June 30, 2021.
3. Improve the user experience related to project and portfolio management through the use of workflows and notifications, dashboards that are more intuitive and informative based on the user’s role and simplified status reporting by June 30,2021. Status reporting should include both an agency rollup of all their projects and project detail level drill down and should be available to the agency leadership and project managers.
4. Expand capabilities to include tracking project budgets, contractor’s hours and a vendor scorecard by June 30, 2021, providing a more complete view of critical project resources and to improve our ability to select the appropriate vendors for future engagements.
5. Increase compliance of all projects within ITBM to 100% by June 30, 2021 for all required fields identified as needed for project health and status tracking.
6. Increase automated notification of project status/process progress by 20% by June 30, 2021
7. Expand actual time tracking for all OIT employees to 100% for active projects by June 30, 2021. Increase use of allocations for all OIT employees to 100% for active projects by June 30, 2021.
8. Make visible the invisible value provided by OIT services to agencies.
9. Create a space for OIT to document and connect value for services delivered with agency outcomes.
Project Timeline High Level
Project Timeline Monthly
Executive Sponsor - Dan Santangelo, Deputy Chief Technology Officer
William Chumley, Chief Customer Officer
Julia Richman, Chief Strategy Officer
Dan Santangelo, Deputy Chief Technology Officer
Tom Genella, Director, Technology Performance & Planning
Natriece Bryant, Deputy Chief Customer Officer
ITSM Project Director - Tom Genella
IT Asset Management (ITAM) - Anthony Vigil
IT Service Management (ITSM) - Kelly Davis
IT Business Management (ITBM) - Vince Bocchino
Lauren Hughes, OIT contractor
Mike Villars, Cask (Implementation Partner)
Organizational Change Management - Lori Powell
Clint Andrews, Business Product Director, DPA
Gregg Miller, Business Process Architect, CDOT
ServiceNow Product Documentation
ServiceNow Support Videos
Want to know more about what's coming? Take a free class from Now Learning.
Implemented by June 30, 2021
Future planning (after June 30, 2021)